Realizing the fact that Nanotechnology is one of the most exciting and emerging field that may lead to the greatest technological advances of the 21st Century and bring in myriad of industrial applications, NIE has set up CNT.
The Centre for Nano-Technology (CNT) has been established to carry out focused research on cutting edge areas in Nano-Science and Nano-Technology. The Nano Mission, Department of Science and Technology, Government of India has sanctioned financial grant of Rs.186 lakhs for research project titled “Characterization of Composite Materials and Application of Nano materials for Sustainable Energy”.
Vision Group on Science and Technology of Govt. of Karnataka has also sanctioned a research grant of Rs 60 lakhs under Centres of Excellence in Science, Engineering and Medicine (CESEM) to carryout research on “Development of CIGS-based Nano materials for Photo voltaics”.
CNT is a multidisciplinary research centre, which has brought together Physical, Chemical and Mechanical Sciences. We have started M.Tech course in Nano-Technology from the academic year 2014-2015.
The main objectives of CNT are:
- Create infrastructure for research on fundamental aspects of Nanotechnology to students and teachers of science and engineering and promote application-oriented R & D projects among students.
- Provide effective education and training to students, researchers and professionals as part of human resource development.
- Develop interdisciplinary culture for research in Nano-science, Engineering and Technology.
- Share the sophisticated facilities with other scientists and researchers in the region.
- Forge linkages and achieve synergy between the educational and research institutions and industry.
- Promote international collaborative research.